Monday, November 17, 2008

Book Time: Eat,Pray,Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

I’m done reading “Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

I saw this book as one of the books recommended by one of the columnists of the Philippine Star. I wanted a copy of that book but I was not able to find one when I searched for it at the National Bookstore.

A few months after, one of my friends got a package from the states and as she excitedly showed me the stuffs sent to her by her boyfriend. I was so happy to gaze upon this book. I remembered how much I wanted to read it and I’m reminded that when you want something with no evil intentions the whole of the universe conspires to bring to you want your heart desire.

Anyway, going back to the book………


Elizabeth Gilbert, the author, just came out from a bitter divorce and recently ended her relationship with another boyfriend. These incidents in her life left her sorrowful, depressed and broken; she then embarked on a journey of self-discovery across three different countries in a period of a year.


What started this whole journey was that she wanted to have as in her own words from the book, “I want to have a lasting experience of God….Sometimes I feel like I understand the divinity of this world, but then I lose it because I get distracted by my petty desires and fears. I want to be with God all the time. But I don’t want to be a monk, or totally give up worldly pleasures. I guess what I want to learn is how to live in this world and enjoy its delights but also devote myself to God.”

She started her voyage in Italy to explore the art of pleasure, four months after she settled in an Ashram in India in her pursuit of prayer life and devotion and the last trimester of her trip was in Indonesia to find the balance between pleasure and devotion.

It’s really a wonderful book filled with insights on finding the balance in our life, pursuing happiness and of letting go of our pains.

Elizabeth Gilbert is a gifted writer. And she’s really good describing the details of her trip. I can almost taste the delicious, gooey mozzarella pizza she tried in Naples, I can empathize with her struggles to quiet down the noises in her head as she meditates in one of the prayer caves in Mumbai and I can almost picture the beauty of Bali, Indonesia in my mind. Reading this book made me feel that I’ve been to these amazing countries.

Eat, pray, love is a good read.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...