Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Random Thoughts on I Can't Smile Without You and Hell Boy

I Can’t Smile Without You
By Chris Arnold, David Martin, Geoff Morrow
Performed by Barry Manilow

You know I can’t smile without you.
I can’t smile without you.
I can’t laugh, I can’t sing
I’m finding it hard to do anything.
You know I feel glad when you’re glad
I feel sad when you’re sad
If you only knew what I’m going through
I just can’t smile without you

You came along just like a song
You brighten my day.
Who would of you believe that you were part of a dream
Now it all seems like light years away.

You know I can’t smile without you.
I can’t smile without you.
I can’t laugh, I can’t sing
I’m finding it hard to do anything.
You know I feel glad when you’re glad
I feel sad when you’re sad
If you only knew what I’m going through
I just can’t smile without you

Now some people say happiness takes so very long to find
Well, I’m finding it hard leaving your love behind

You know I can’t smile without you.
I can’t smile without you.
I can’t laugh, I can’t sing
I’m finding it hard to do anything.
You know I feel glad when you’re glad
I feel sad when you’re sad
If you only knew what I’m going through
I just can’t smile without you



This song was one of the first songs I’ve learned to sing when I was just a little girl.
My music teacher when I was in grade one taught us this song and I’ve loved this song

I liked the song back then because of the tune.

But looking at the lyrics now, the song may sound upbeat but the words for the music are sad. When you are heartbroken surely you’ll feel lonelier when you listen to it. The words are suggestive of being sad, of not being able to smile without the one you love.

I just remembered the song because it was part of the sound track of the movie “Hell Boy- the Golden Army.”

I was able to catch the flick last Sunday at Blue Wave.

There was a scene in the movie where Red (the nickname of Hell boy) and Abe (the alien creature) were singing this song; it was such a cute scene. Red and Abe are love struck. They were both in love and having problems with their loved ones. Red was sad because Liz ( Red’s girlfriend ) wanted to have space and have some time away from him while Abe is confused because it was the first time he have experience this feeling of love and it was for Princess Nuala. Abe’s love for Princess Nuala is complicated because she is the sister of the enemy – Prince Nuada.

I enjoyed the movie very much. It was very entertaining .Red’s sarcastic humor is still amusing. And I love Abe’s character more in this movie than in the first installment of the film. They made him more human in nature because he was able to feel love.

So, if you want to watch something light and funny, I’m recommending this movie.



1 comment:

Nasimlibya `√ said...

ya very nice song 2 manillow
i like it very much

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...